Scotland’s west and east coasts were linked in 1790 with the opening of the Forth and Clyde Canal. This created many new markets for Glasgow traders. The Monkland Canal joined on to it at Port Dundas in 1794, creating a major port in the north of the city. The opening of the Edinburgh and Glasgow Railway in 1842 took away some of the traffic but the canal continued to be commercially important until after the Second World War. The canal was closed in 1963, but the Millenium Link Project refurbished the canal and re-opened it in 2002 for leisure users.